If you’re looking for a memory care checklist, there are some questions you may want to ask both yourself and the facilities you look at. You want to find a location that will suit the needs of your loved one, right?
Questions To Ask When Looking For A Memory Care Community
We have put together a very thorough memory care checklist for you, so you know the right questions to ask and what to look for. Download the Memory Care Checklist so you can print it out and take it with you.
Questions For Yourself
- Will they need assistance with eating?
- Is your loved one going to require a walker, wheelchair or can they move around on their own?
- Does your loved one show aggression due illness?
- Has your loved one been known to wander?
- Will they require assistance in using the bathroom?
- Does your loved one require insulin or other diabetic care?
- Will your loved one require continuous medical treatments, such as dialysis?
- Is there a need for 24-hour supervision?
Questions For The Community (Safety & Staff)
- What type of training do staff members take?
- How secure is the community, the grounds and buildings?
- What is the required amount of training hours for staff members?
- What is the staff to resident ratio?
- How many staff members are on the day and night shifts?
- Is there individual care plans for each resident?
- Will a nurse be available 24/7? If not, what hours will a nurse be available?
- Does a physician visit the residents?
- Are you able to care for residents who have mobility issues?
- What are the available medical services?
- Are outside visits able to be arranged? Who coordinates the activity?
- Does your staff have the ability to care for physically aggressive residents?
Community Policy Questions
- Is an in-depth assessment conducted prior to admissions?
- Are there types of care not provided? How will residents transition from memory to skilled care?
- How frequently are family members updated about resident’s well-being?
- What is the medical emergency policy?
- What is the discharge policy?
- Is there a flat fee or are housing and care billed separately?
Features and Treatments of Memory Care
- What type of living arrangements are there?
- Is there a special dining program for memory care residents?
- Are residents grouped based on cognitive levels?
- What type of therapy is available (music, pet, reminiscence, etc.)?
- Is there a Snoozelen room or light treatments?
- Vascular dementia care?
- Parkinson’s care?
- Can they care for Alzheimer’s residents?
Go With Your Gut
- Do residents have easy access to outdoor spaces?
- Did staff members seem knowledgeable and friendly?
- Could the community be easily navigated?
- Do they have the same philosophy as you?
MEMORY CARE AT VENTANA WINDS RETIREMENT IN YOUNGTOWN, ARIZONA
If you are searching for a memory care facilities in Youngtown & Sun City Ventana Winds Retirement is the facility for you! Travel over to our memory care page to see pictures, find out more about our facility, amenities, floor plans and more.