7 Stages Of Lewy Body Dementia
If you are searching for the “7 stages of lewy body dementia“, this article will detail the significant life changes.
What Are The 7 Stages Of Lewy Body Dementia?
Lewy Body Dementia (LBD) is one of the most common forms of dementia today. Typically, early signs of LBD may be confused for Alzheimer’s or schizophrenia, according to nia.nih.gov. LBD can develop in combination with several different brain disorders. Generally, LBD takes a long time for symptoms to develop and become noticeable.
A typical lifespan from diagnosis to death is 5-8 years, but some recent studies suggest a lifespan of 2-20 years is also a possibility. The seven definitive stages of LBD are detailed below.
Stage 1: Normal Behavior
In stage one of LBD, individuals will show little to no signs of any present disease. There will be no noticeable symptoms of dementia and there will be no impact on the individual’s daily life.
Stage 2: Mild Change
Stage two is very similar to stage one because change in the individual’s behavior may not be noticed at all. Typically, memory issues are simply passed off as a normal part of aging.
Stage 2 Symptoms:
- Some difficulty finding the right words.
- Normal functioning.
- Ability to overcome memory issues.
Stage 3: Noticeable Change
Stage three is typically the stage when others start to notice change in someone suffering from LBD. Changes may not be noticed in the individual’s thinking and reasoning. Prevalent memory issues generally start here, as well.
Stage 3 Symptoms:
- Difficulty paying attention.
- Trouble finding words and/or names.
- Money management issues.
- Problems at the workplace.
Stage 4: Mild Dementia
During stage four your loved one should still be able to remember loved ones and past events, despite the mild dementia symptoms.
Stage 4 Symptoms:
- Making mistakes while driving.
- Problem solving issues.
- Problems with routine tasks.
- More money management problems.
- Forgetting familiar names/items.
- Forgetting where things have been placed.
Stage 5: Moderate To Severe Mental Decline
At this stage, the individual with LBD should have increased trouble remembering to do daily tasks and past events.
Stage 5 Symptoms:
- Mood swings.
- Personality changes.
- Gaps in memory.
- Assistance needed when eating and using the bathroom.
- Bladder problems.
Stage 6: Severe Mental Decline
Memories will start to quickly fade during this stage. 24-hour at-home care should be considered for the individual at this time.
Stage 6 Symptoms:
- Changing eating habits.
- Getting lost and confused.
- Lack of awareness.
- Bladder problems increasing.
- Strong personality changes and mood swings.
- Trouble speaking.
Stage 7: Severe Dementia (Final Stage)
Individuals with LBD will no longer recognize friends and family. 24-hour care is essential during the final stage.
Stage 7 Symptoms:
- No ability to eat, swallow or speak.
- Loss of muscle control.
- Constantly disoriented.
- Loss of bowel and bladder control.
- Cannot use bathroom without assistance.
About Ventana Winds
Ventana Winds Retirement Community is a member of SLS Communities and offers Assisted Living and Memory Care services In Youngtown, Arizona.
More Articles About Senior Living
- How Much Does Memory Care Cost?
- How To Talk To A Parent With Dementia
- Memory Care Facilities Near Me
- Best Golf Clubs For Seniors
- Questions For Assisted Living Interviews
- How To Look Younger At 50
- Retirement Party Ideas
- Can I Retire At 60 With 500K?
- Retire In Youngtown AZ
- Retirement Wishes – 100 Quotes Continued
- Assisted Living vs Memory Care
- Retirement Wishes For A Boss
- Is It Possible To Retire Early At Age 30, Age 40, or Age 50
- Differences Between Independent Living Vs Assisted Living
- Senior Living Youngtown
- How Much Does Assisted Living Cost In Youngtown, Arizona?
- Best Places To Retire In Youngtown Arizona
- Assisted Living Peoria
- What Is Memory Care? The Difference Between Alzheimer’s and Dementia.
- What is Assisted Living?
- What is Arthritis?
- Benefits of Assisted Living
- What is Memory Care?
- Senior Retirement Living Options
- Checklist For Assisted Living
- Best Place To Retire In Sun City Arizona
- Can The IRS Seize My Retirement Money?
2 thoughts on “7 Stages Of Lewy Body Dementia”